They Couldn't Do it.



“I begged your disciples to cast out the spirit, but they couldn’t do it.” (Luke 9:40, NLT)
I can hear the urgency and frustration in the voice of a father who desperately wanted to see his son freed and healed. He assumed that Jesus’ followers would be able to do what Jesus was doing, but he had been let down. How sad that many of Jesus’ followers are still impotent to do what Jesus said we should do. The more I think about it, I think it was less about a lack of power and more about a lack of compassion. If my heart was truly broken over the oppressed and the helpless, I would be fasting, praying, and pouring out my heart to God on their behalf. And from my readings of the Gospels, God would respond!! I am convinced that many American Christians are powerless because we are so apathetic. But praise be to God, Jesus still cares! He is more than willing to do what so many of His followers cannot. May we have His compassion, and also His power to see lives changed.

Comments

Popular Posts