A Contrarians Guide to Knowing God, Part 2

In an earlier post I mentioned that I'm reading Larry Osborne's book, A Contrarians Guide to Knowing God.

In chapter 5, Osborne points out that "most of our programs and models for spiritual development follow a strict linear pattern... Yet, if we stop and look back at our own spiritual journey, few of us will find anything close to a neatly laid out linear path" (p. 53). Osborne goes on to say, "Most spiritual growth happens on a haphazard neet-to-grow or need-to-know basis. As life happens, we're suddenly confronted by the need for personal growth or more biblical information in an area of life that up to now hasn't seemed all that important" (p. 53).

So, does that mean that we should scrap any "spiritual growth" programs that give off the faintest scent of being too linear and programmed? No, but I think that Osborne is onto something. I've always been a fan of small groups because I think (if they're done right), they give the opportunity for people to quickly find RESOURCES in their "time of need." In fact, I might not find very much value in attending a small group from week-to-week. Yet, there is incredible CUMULATIVE value if I'm hanging around with other people who (a) love me, (b) are getting to know me beyond a superficial level, (c) have knowledge and giftings that are DIFFERENT from mine. In my time of need, I have a PLACE to go to ask my honest questions! As always, I'm interested in your thoughts!

Comments

Popular Posts