I Can Do THAT?!

"Elijah was a man just like us.  He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.  Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops."  (James 5:16-18)
This is certainly an interesting verse, isn't it?!  Why do you think that James stresses that Elijah was a man just like us?  John Eldredge (see past two posts) offers the following answer:
"Because of that thing in each of us that says, I could never do that.  Because of that theology that says, 'Those stories are exceptions.'  That sort of thinking cripples faith.  It cuts your prayer life off at the knees.  Why are we given stories about the power of godly people praying if our prayers really don't accomplish anything?  James said that Elijah was just like you and me.  This was no exception.  Meaning, you can pray and do this too.  You can pray and see things happen" (p. 72).
I want to be so connected to Christ and HIS purposes that my prayers actually become an extension of His will.  After all, Jesus promised , "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you" (John 15:7).  Today, let's pray with humility AND confidence!

Comments

Popular Posts