Christmas Eve in a Bar

Last Wednesday night, I found myself in a bar for the first time in probably ten years.  No, I didn't go to throw back some Miller Lights... I went to help somebody that simply needed my help.  Honestly, I've been thinking about that experience for the last several days.  If our church is about seeing (1) lives changed, (2) a spiritual awakening, and (3) community impact... then why aren't we going to where the real action is at?  I'll be honest... the hopelessness was tangible... you could almost touch it.

Anyhow, I've had that experience rolling around in my head, and then this morning I came across an incredible article about spending Christmas Eve in a Bar.  (Click here to read it.)  I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the author is really onto something.  Our greatest ministry opportunities are never going to occur within the walls of the church, but who knows what could happen if we actually invaded our community with God's love.  Read the article and then let me know what you think!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am one who spent many a Christmas Eve in a bar. And I felt like everyone in that bar on Christmas Eve (myself included) were a bunch of losers. Yet even then if one had asked me I’d of said “no, I don’t do church but yea I believe in God & Jesus, but I just don’t see how any of that can make any difference in my life. Well Praise God & Thank You Jesus, I now know The Truth & The Way & it has made a big difference. And who knows maybe just maybe if some folks woulda come up to me with some KrispyKremes I might have taken this road a lot sooner. It kinda fits in with today’s Bible reading where Jesus dines with Matthew, sinners & other losers ) I really think He’d rather be passin out doughnuts at a bar winnin souls, than watching a Christmas Eve pageant.
Anonymous said…
Has it been 10 years...wow!

Popular Posts