A Partner in Evangelism

Sunday morning, we finished our series "Every One" with a challenge to reach the "every one" in OUR city and county.  I talked about the need to really LISTEN!

When we listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and we really listen to the folks that we rub shoulders with everyday, we find opportunities that never seemed to exist.  Instead of coming at people with canned speeches and memorized verses, we need to simply listen to them.  Ask probing questions.  Find out what makes the person tick.  Ask where God is in their journey.  And offer to pray for them... Not a condescending prayer... but a prayer for God to reveal Himself.

Finally, I talked about the fact that the church is meant to be a PARTNER in our efforts to share our faith with our friends, co-workers, and family members.  In some of the churches that I've attended over the years, I have felt like I was on my own.  Unfortunately, because of all kinds of issues, the church was sometimes the LAST PLACE that I'd want to bring a friend!  But Journey is striving to be a place that is warm and welcoming.

In preparing my sermons, I always ask the question, "Would someone who doesn't have a clue about the Bible, be able to follow what I'm saying?"  I want normal, everyday people to understand what happens at church.  I want them to get it!  Most importantly, we're praying that Journey would be a place where your friends can genuinely encounter God--not some hyped-up, manufactured weirdness--but that they would know that they have been in the very presence of Jesus.

In my next couple of posts, I'll talk about some of the ways that Journey can partner with you in your efforts to share your faith!

Comments

Popular Posts