First Things First

In his book, The Next Christians, Gabe Lyons briefly talks about the difference between first and second things. He explains it like this:
"If I want my children to have beautiful imaginations (a second thing), I must first turn off the television, read them descriptive, fantastical books, and give them experiences that let their minds wander and dream (a first thing)... You hardly ever achieve the second things without first focusing on the first things. As C. S. Lewis wrote in his brilliant essay 'First and Second Things,' 'You can't get second things by putting them first; you can get second things only by putting first things first."
Jesus said it this way: "Seek first God's Kingdom and His righteousness... Make those things your primary concern, and God will take care of all of the other details of your life" (Matthew 6:33--my paraphrase). I need to make sure that I am putting FIRST THINGS FIRST!

Comments

Popular Posts