Led by the Spirit

An older gentleman from our church loaned me an old, out-of-print book on Sunday. Honestly, I have so many books stacked on my desk waiting to be read, that the chances were pretty slim that I'd get to it anytime soon. But yesterday, I picked it up and started reading. It has been such a life-giving book! Written by an old pastor named Malcolm Smith, the book is entitled, Turn Your Back on the Problem. (It is out of print and I couldn't find it on Amazon.)

The following is one of Smith's statements that I read several minutes ago:
How can a person be realistically led by the [Holy] Spirit? ... Mere passivity was not the answer; in fact, sitting back with a blank, open mind was downright dangerous. That much I knew. The men of the Bible were men of action. That was putting it mildly. But their activity originated in God. It was not fretful, surging, self-exciting, self-generated energy. They were at peace in their hearts quietly waiting on God, and upon receiving His mind and will, they were obedient, carrying out His directions in His strength... They were surrendered men. Surrendered to Him, on His terms, not theirs, to be led where and how He desired" (82).
I'm still chewing, but I do know that Smith is describing the man that I want to be: led by the Spirit, peaceful, obedient, surrendered. "God, make me into this man."


Comments

Popular Posts