Skinheads and Pizza

This evening, our family joined another church family to stuff our faces at a Fremont pizza buffet.  Unknowingly, seated at the back of the restaurant at some pushed-together tables was a sizable group of skinheads.  How do I know?  They made themselves obvious with tattoos and leather jackets consisting of swastikas, confederate flags, and other related symbols.  We didn't notice the group until we were halfway through our meal.  When they came strutting through the restaurant to pay their bill, I felt like the wind was knocked out of me.

I can't believe that these people still exist.  Honestly, tonight I'm wrestling with feelings of hatred toward THEM.  I know a pastor isn't supposed to say that.  And I don't understand it... I'm not their enemy.  I don't have a reason to hate them.  But I keep wondering what I would do if this group came walking through the doors of our church on Sunday morning?  I'm really not sure.  I know that my gut reaction would be to kick them out.  What would Jesus do?  Would He verbally go-off on them like he did with the Pharisees, or would he see them through the lenses of compassion like He did with the tax-collectors?  Not sure what I think.  Feel free to add your thoughts.

Comments

Roger Hart said…
Matthew 9:12,13 On hearing this, Jesus said,"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners"

I was not even aware that there were skinheads in the area- or much of anywhere anymore, for that matter- maybe this is a call to ministry.
Justin Bowers said…
Ken,

I love your blog. It's great to hear you guys are doing well.

I've been thinking a ton more about the race issues since Obama was elected obviously, and I wonder if these type of guys and major racist issues will rise to the surface in stronger and more visible ways than they have in recent years. For some reason, I'm almost assuming they will. I think when an issue like this is confronted culturally (i.e. with the election of an African American president), those with ignorant biases often react even more strongly. Just a thought.
Jim said…
Be careful. As a spirit filled minister I warn you to be sensitive to the demonic and satanic influence incorporated in these groups. The deep hateful, murderous, and elitism that is purpously paraded by these individuals is no show. There may be some unsuspecting and niave individuals with other intentions that run with such a group. But whatever the reason the fuel does come from Satan.

There may be a time when they do come into our churches. However, be aware that they will not be coming to here a loving message about Jesus Christ but as seething and angry mob. Love their soul with your heart and offer the truth with your life.

Again, just be careful out there. Gentle and doves but wise as serpents.

fellow minister in the Lord Jesus Christ

Popular Posts