The Exchange Club!

I’m pretty sure that none of you have ever heard of the Exchange Club before, but it has become a lifeline for me in understanding my community! Here in Fremont, the Exchange Club is one of the larger service organizations (similar to the Rotary Club or Kiwanis). When I moved to Fremont a year ago, I was talking to the owner of a local coffee shop, and he remarked that most pastors aren’t visible in the community anymore. He wondered why more pastors aren’t part of community organizations. A week later, I joined the Exchange Club!

Every Friday at noon, I attend our club lunch/meeting and have the opportunity to eat with other business leaders in my city. This has given me a tremendous opening to rub shoulders with our city’s mayor, superintendent of schools, and other people of influence. (It’s worthwhile to note that our local Red Cross director told me that the national Red Cross office actually requires him to be a member of a local civic club.)

Interestingly enough, none of my fellow “Exchangites” fit our church’s demographic target. I’m a generation younger than most of the group… in most cases I’m two generations younger. But I’m getting a chance to gain some legitimacy for our crazy little church. In the process, I’m slowly gaining favor. I’m being asked to publicly praying before their meals and to pray at different functions (such as the opening of our county fair). Needless to say, I’m proud to be an “Exchangite!”

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree Ken, the first thing I did when I moved to Loveland as pastor was join the Chamber of Commerce. I met twice a month with real estate agents, salesmen, lawyers, and all sorts of business people looking for leads. I was there to get the pulse of the community and it was a great way to quickly become part of the community.
-Andrew Overby
Anonymous said…
You continue to impress me Ken. Job well done! GOD works thru all of us without us even knowing. Once you commit yourself, favor comes. Got to LOVE HIS GRACE!!!
Pastor Josh said…
The exchange club is a good group. I was recognized and recieved an award from our club in Wisconsin. Glad to hear that doors are opening up for you.

Popular Posts