A Name for Our Church?

After the Road had run down some way, and had left Bree-hill standing tall and brown behind, they came on a narrow track that led off towards the North. “This is where we leave the open road and take to cover,” said Strider.
“Not a ‘short cut’ I hope,” said Pippin. “Our last short cut through woods nearly ended in disaster.”
“Ah, but you did not have me with you then,” laughed Strider.”My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.” He took a look up and down the Road. No one was in sight; and he led the way quickly down towards the wooded valley…

- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“If you’re not pursuing a dangerous quest with your life, well, then, you don’t need a Guide. If you haven’t found yourself in the midst of a ferocious war, then you won’t need a seasoned Captain. If you’ve settled in your mind to live as though this is a fairly neutral world and you are simply trying to live your life as best you can, then you can probably get by with the Christianity of tips and techniques… But if you intend to live in the Story that God is telling, and if you want the life he offers, then you are going to need more than a handful of principles, however noble they may be. There are too many twists and turns in the road ahead, too many ambushes waiting only God knows where, too much at stake…”
- John Eldredge, Waking the Dead

Over the last couple of days, it has become apparent to me that the leading name for our new church plant in Fremont is JOURNEY CHURCH. Of course, it’s not official and, who knows, maybe we’ll still end up calling ourselves “First Fremont Assembly” (FFA might have a nice ring for all of you Future Farmers of America)!

But seriously, why am I leaning towards “Journey Church”? Because I think that following Christ is a lot like an expedition. Yes, we are “saved” by God’s unmerited favor at the very moment that we place our faith in who Jesus is and what He has done for us. But there is also a maturing and growing process that God longs for us to go through. We must daily be transformed so that we can most clearly reflect His light to a world that has become way too comfortable stubbing their toes in darkness.

I believe that God is calling us to launch a church that recognizes that it is so much easier to walk the narrow road that leads to life when you travel with companions. I want to be a part of a community of Christ-followers who are all equally committed to “pursuing a dangerous quest with their lives.” I’ve hung around too many limp-wristed, lifeless Christians who boast of the Spirit’s power, but live safe, ineffective lives. I can’t tell you the hunger inside of me to do something… anything to actually advance the Kingdom of God.

This is my prayer: Holy Spirit, I invite You to become my Strider. Take me off of the open road and lead me by Your cuts. Short or long, I know that they won’t go wrong. In this quest, I know that Your ultimate goal is not a destination, but You are most concerned with my maturity. So, I surrender myself to Your ways and to Your wisdom. Thank You for leading me so excellently!

Comments

Popular Posts