The Wind at my back

Today is Mother’s Day and Keri, Kyle and I arrived yesterday at Top Sail Island in North Carolina to spend the week with her family (it’s become a GREAT annual tradition). This afternoon I spent some time walking along the beach by myself… I love the feeling of bare feet in the wet sand, watching the waves come crashing in one after the other. Maybe it’s because everything seems so large and vast, but I just feel so much closer to God when I’m walking along the ocean! I guess it all serves to remind me of God’s greatness and faithfulness.

Anyhow, I started walking north and I was amazed at how easily the journey was going. I was just singing away (one of the nice things about singing next to the waves is that the roar of the ocean drowns out your voice). At some point I realized that I had walked quite a distance, so I decided to turn around and walk back to the house. It was at this moment that I realized why my journey had been so easy going—the wind AND the sun had been at my back the whole time. When I turned around to begin my return trip, I suddenly had a fairly strong wind ripping right at my front, and of course now the wind was whipping up the sand that began pelting me like tiny bullets (funny how I never felt them hitting the back of my legs when I was walking the first part of the trip). I’ve got to tell you it was a difficult journey back to the house.

Instead of living my life walking against the wind of the Holy Spirit, I desperately want to embrace His move and travel with His presence. I want to walk with Him. I long for my heart to be softened and pliable, so that I’ll have eyes to see and ears to hear. I need to hear His voice.

Comments

Popular Posts