Life is a Marathon

This past Sunday, October 21, I ran and FINISHED the Columbus Marathon!  I am not a fast runner (never have been one), but I did want to finish with a time that was significantly faster than my time from two years ago (I did!).  After a few days of reflecting on the experience, I have learned so many life lessons:

  • The start is always easier than the finish.  Any one can start a race... ANY ONE!  Unfortunately, very few can and will finish.  
  • The 26.2 miles are full of ups and downs.  There were points along the marathon where I could absolutely feel the "great cloud of witnesses" surrounding me and even pushing me forward.  But there were also many desolated stretches where "whispers of doubt" seemed so reasonable, and quitting became a viable option.
  • I was able to keep my pace, as long as I STAYED with others who were committed to running the race in a similar time as me.  I stayed with this pace group for 17 miles, and then because of several circumstances, I got behind, and once I wasn't with them, my pace was negatively affected.  Who are you running with?  Do they have similar life goals?  Or are they giving you excuses to settle?  Choose to run with the horses!
  • At the finish line, a soldier in full uniform, placed a medal over my head.  I was absolutely dumbfounded.  I actually told him that I should be the one putting a medal over HIS head!  As Paul looked toward the completion of his life marathon, he stated, "There is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day..." (2 Timothy 4:8a, NIV)  One day, if we endure to the end, Jesus will award crowns of righteousness, and it will be a humbling experience.  And as quickly as I can, I will be on my knees, offering the crown right back to him!
  • Finally, for those who finish, the joy is absolutely inexpressible.  The roar of the crowd is deafening.  The sights and sounds are overwhelming.  After being given a medal, I was led through a line of people offering me bottles of chocolate milk, cookies, bagels, plastic grocery bags of ALL SORTS OF SNACK FOODS!  (By the way, what should someone eat after finishing a marathon?  Anything he or she wants!)  When I come to the completion of my life marathon, I will sit down at a banquet table like no other... and share a meal, conversation, and laughter with others who finished... I have a feeling that meal alone might last for several centuries!

Comments

Popular Posts