Silence in the Face of Opposition

Mark 14:4-5, "...Pilate asked [Jesus], 'Aren't you going to answer them? What about all these charges they are bringing against You?' But Jesus said nothing, much to Pilate's surprise." (NLT)

Two thousand years later, I think we are all STILL surprised! In fact, this whole chapter (Mark 14) is absolutely overwhelming, as Jesus' trial, torture, and execution are vividly described. But I'm with Pilate, in that I'm probably most surprised or shocked by Jesus' tone throughout the whole ordeal.

Jesus gives no mini-lectures, explanations or defense statements. He says nothing. If I was in His shoes, it's questionable whether I would have gone through with the whole "cup of suffering"... I DEFINITELY wouldn't have done so QUIETLY! I would have been muttering threats and mentally taking down specific names. But Jesus doesn't do any of that.

Jesus simply endures the whole ridiculous display. Why? Maybe He was showing me that I don't always have to rush to defend myself. I don't have to win every argument. I can trust that my Father is sovereign and He is fully capable of carrying out justice. Maybe Jesus is teaching me the value of silence in the face of opposition.

Comments

Popular Posts