Do we ignore God's holiness?

Over the past couple of weeks, there has been a lot of buzz about the love of God. But sometimes I wonder if our western version of Christianity hasn't preached God's love so much that we have forgotten about His holiness and justice--characteristics of God that (like God's love) are also on display throughout the Word of God.

For instance, in Leviticus 10, we see a "Rated R" example of God's response to those who are flippant and half-hearted toward His commandments. In fact, Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu were utterly destroyed by God for not FULLY obeying His instructions. Listen to what God had to say to Aaron, after the event...
"You must distinguish between what is sacred and what is common, between what is ceremonially unclean and what is clean." (Leviticus 10:10, NLT)
This passage makes it absolutely clear that God is just. His holiness is not something to be mocked or ignored. Do we really fear God? I know that I am certainly guilty of not fearing the awesomeness of God's justice and holiness. I too often treat lightly the very weightiness or glory of God.

"Oh God, have mercy. Spare me from the destruction that I deserve. Please put in me a spirit that would DESIRE to fully, completely obey Your every instruction because of my reverence for WHO You are."

Comments

Popular Posts