For My GOOD!

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been challenged by something that Jesus said to His followers just hours before He would be arrested, beaten and executed. He said this:
John 16:7, "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor [obviously referring to the Holy Spirit, see 14:16-17, 26; 15:26] will not come to You; but if I go, I will send Him to you."

Interestingly, around the time that this passage really grabbed me, I began walking with a friend through some pretty horrible crap. I remember actually praying, "Jesus, I wish I could just sit across the table from you and ask you how to deal with this." And then it hit me. Jesus said that it is for my "good"... this word can also be translated "advantage or benefit." It is for my advantage that Jesus leaves the building, so that I can have the benefit of the Holy Spirit's guidance, counsel, conviction and comfort.

So, here's the question that I've been grappling with... "Do I really believe it!?" I know that I "know" it, but do I authentically BELIEVE that it is for my advantage that Jesus left? Do I VALUE the Holy Spirit's role in my life? Seriously! Would I treat Jesus with the ignorance that I treat the Holy Spirit?

"Holy Spirit, I want to realize Your value in my life. Please lead me and guide me!"

Comments

Popular Posts