Cart before the Horse

In reading what the Bible has to say about the Holy Spirit, I think that I have been a bit backwards in my understanding of Him. Growing up in a Pentecostal church, I always equated the Holy Spirit with "the baptism of the Holy Spirit" and "speaking in tongues." While I don't want to discount those experiences, I've come to realize that the Holy Spirit is SO MUCH MORE than that!

I've really been chewing on the fact that the Holy Spirit has been a part of my life since before I even began following Christ. I love what the 2nd verse of Genesis says about the Holy Spirit...
"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." (NIV)

Not only did the Holy Spirit hover over the chaos at the beginning of creation, but I believe that when MY LIFE was formless and empty... when darkness was over the surface of the deep of my life, that if you looked closely, you could see the Holy Spirit "hovering." I love that image! It was the Holy Spirit who convicted me of my need to be rescued and to see Jesus as the only one who could save me and forgive me (John 16:8).

While I do believe in a "baptism in the Holy Spirit" or being "filled with the Spirit", I think that I need to take the time to acknowledge and appreciate His activity and involvement in my life ALREADY!

"Holy Spirit, thank You for Your presence in my life. Thank You for drawing me to Christ. Thank You for Your conviction. I ask You to INCREASE my capacity to receive more and more of You! Amen!"

Comments

Loren willey said…
Amen brother for the truth may the holy sprit fill my life also i do belive in his ability and look for him always for guidence.

Popular Posts