Faith Is Risky Business

If you want to read a book that will really motivate you to charge the next mountain, you’ve absolutely got to go pick up In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson. I mean it! Get on www.amazon.com right now and order yourself a copy! Anyhow, I could spend twenty blogs recounting some of my favorite statements and paragraphs. Look at what Batterson has to say about faith:

“You can’t remove risk from the equation [of faith in God]… Part of me wonders if we’ve been sold a bill of goods. Is it just me or does it seem like some people act as if faith is the reduction of risk? They act as if the goal of faith is to eliminate risk so our lives are, in the words of the old hymn, ‘safe and secure from all alarm.’ Have you read the Bible lately? Faith is risky business. The goal of faith is not the elimination of risk. In fact, the greater risk is taking no risks. Isn’t that the principle in the parable of the talents?”, (p. 109).

Wow! Could it be true that God really doesn’t care about my comfort as much as he cares about my maturity and character?! If I’m going to realize the true destiny that God has in store for me, I’m going to have to take some risks that will be ANYTHING BUT comfortable! I don’t want to be a person who simply sees opportunities; I want to be a person who is willing to actually SEIZE opportunities. God, help me to obey you no matter what (no matter how crazy the task). God, I commit to going where You want me to go… to saying what You want me to say… to doing what You want me to do!

Comments

Popular Posts