Expectations of Spiritual Leaders

I've been reading Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament, and I ran across a couple of paragraphs that speak to God's expectations for Israel's spiritual leaders:
"The purpose of my covenant with the Levites was to bring life and peace, and that is what I gave them. This required reverence from them, and they greatly revered me and stood in awe of my name. They passed on to the people the truth of the instructions they received from me... The words of a priest's lips should preserve knowledge of God, and people should go to him for instruction, for the priest is the messenger of the LORD of Heaven's Armies." (Malachi 2:5-7, NLT)
This may not mean much to anyone else, but as I read this I am just struck by the awesome, awesome responsibility and privilege of spiritual leadership. I know that I am not a Levite nor a priest, but as one of Christ's shepherds, I am challenged in the following points:
  1. God requires that I truly FEAR and REVERENCE Him. Before I can lead others, I must see God as He is... I must be continually struck by His full weight and glory. My posture should be one of constant humility and brokenness in awe of an absolutely holy God.
  2. God expects me to simply pass on the TRUTH THAT I HAVE RECEIVED FROM HIM. I am to communicate HIS truth (not my own). This also means, that I need to be in a position of hearing His voice, or I will have nothing to pass on!
  3. The words that I speak should "preserve knowledge of God." In other words, I should be continually led to speak words that teach God's truth. My words are to be careful, deliberate and purposeful.
"God, I am challenged by the task with which You have entrusted me. Help me to grow in fear and reverence of You. Give me ears to hear Your truth and the courage to communicate it to others. And help my words to be measured for Your glory. Amen!"

Comments

Popular Posts