Faithful.

This morning I was reading Hebrews 11:3...
"All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it from a distance and welcomed it..."
I'm humbled when I read about these incredible men and women of God who risked everything, putting it ALL on the line because they were absolutely confident that they had heard God's voice. What is even more amazing is that they didn't have to see the fulfillment of God's words in their own generation. I think that I can get so consumed with my present situation that I lose sight of the timelessness of God's agenda and purpose.

Yet, these men and women referenced in Hebrews 11 had what Eugene Peterson calls "a long obedience in the same direction." They were faithful regardless of whether it seemed that they were making progress or not. "They didn't receive what was promised, but they saw it from a distance and welcomed it." I want to be faithful, regardless of the visible outcomes and results. I want to finish strong! Maybe it will be my kids or grandkids who actually see the fulfillment of my faithfulness!

Comments

Popular Posts