Tedd Haggard

Growing up, I remember hearing that the only decent hero worth having is a dead one, and after the recent whirlwind of revelations concerning Ted Haggard, it seems that the old adage isn’t too far off. Here is a guy who appeared to accomplish so much good for the Kingdom of God. And I’m not just referencing the obvious fact that he built a "mega-church." I personally looked up to Haggard, because he offered a whole lot of answers for emerging Pentecostal pastors about how to stay true to our "Full-Gospel roots" while staying relevant to the culture around us. In addition, he offered a model of small group ministry that finally made sense. His books were filled with challenging and encouraging nuggets that were also incredibly practical for young pastors.

Unfortunately, Haggard has now become a household name, not for the good that he accomplished, but for so many other inappropriate reasons. Rather than joining the finger-pointing masses, I’m much more interested in the lessons that I need to personally carry away from the scandal. More than anything, throughout all of the news reports, I feel that God is challenging me that my end is more important than my now.

When the allegations hit the fan, for some reason, I immediately thought of a chapter from Michael L. Brown’s book, Go and Sin No More. In chapter four, Brown offers a study of the Hebrew word, aharit which means "that which comes after; after-effects; final consequences; end." Brown explains, "The principle is simple: From our normal vantage point, we cannot see someone’s back. We don’t see what comes after. And so, if I were to tear the back of my suit jacket, leaving an ugly hole, you would never know it if you only saw me form the front. From that angle, I would look fine. But as soon as I walked past you, you would gasp. Moments ago, everything seemed great; from behind, it was embarrassing" (p. 77). What an appropriate description in light of the news headlines from Colorado Springs.

Near the end of the same chapter, Brown concludes, "It is the final end that counts, the final score that matters. How many sports teams have started fast and racked up a big lead, only to fail miserably at the end of the game or season. A good start made their poor finish all the more disappointing. Paul could say of himself, ‘I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith’ (2 Tim 4:7). His aharit was glorious, the course of his life consistent. That’s how it must be for us!" (p. 88).

For me, I have found that it’s all too easy to get caught up with the now—sometimes sacrificing my own spiritual and emotional health to put a new church ahead. Yet, instead of being consumed with the now, Brown’s admonition reminds me that I need to be thinking about the end.

It’s easy to smugly sit in my office and gasp at Haggard’s sin because his indiscretions seem so foreign. After all, I would never even be tempted to engage in THAT kind of sin, RIGHT?! But the Bible clearly teaches that Satan is shrewd and crafty. He has studied me and knows my every single weakness. The enemy of my soul not only knows the types of bait that are most alluring, but he also knows the seasons and times in which those baits are the most attractive. This doesn't mean that I become paranoid about the devil's attacks, it just means that I must stay attached to Christ and His grace and strength every single day. When I remain in Christ, He will remain in me... and His abiding presence is more than enough.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen! May we all pray that we will seek to follow Christ to the END. God bless you!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for you journal. I agree.

I firmly bliee in a focus on Jesus and not on man, for my spiritual stability.
Anonymous said…
hi, i am a south Korean girl who studed from Michael Brown when he visited Korea 10years or more ago, in Seoul.
I hope God revive Ted, and I agree with you and remembering Michael's teaching on aharit, i was to glad to know someone read his book.
soren said…
Great points. Perhaps if we gain more of an understanding of our "baits and seasons" Satan's trickery will be less effective?
Anonymous said…
4/11/07 Praise God for your ministry in Ohio and your words of wisdom on your blog. I pray Gods blessing on you and your family and ministry.

Popular Posts